Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Apple Fest!

I love anything apple related!  So Mr. Pinkapotamus and I took the little ones apple picking and then we came home and got to making some apple deliciousness!
We started by making applesauce and then moved on the apple pie and apple dumplings! 
Today I am sharing the apple pie recipe!

Ingredients:

Pie Filling
7 cups thinly sliced
(crispin and red delicious)
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon

Pie Crust
4 cups flour
2 cups butter
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp white vinegar
1 egg
ice cold water to make 1/2 cup liquid

I like to start by making the pie filling so that the flavors can marinate as I make the crust. 

For the filling peel and cut the apples into thin slices. 

Then coat them in both sugars and cinnamon. 

Put aside.
For the the crust, I use the mixer. 

Combine the flour and salt. 

Make sure your butter is super cold from the fridge and cut into pats.  Add to the mixer and mix until crumbly. 

Once the mixture is crumbly turn the mixer off and add the liquid a little at a time.  I mix it with my hands until it is not too sticky. 


I then take the crust and split it into 4 parts (I save 2 parts for dumplings).  I take two parts and roll them each into a ball then roll it on a floured counter into a circle.  I add one layer to the bottom of my pan.. ( I use a cake pan becuase I broke all of my pie plates) 
Add the filling and cover with the second pie crust.   Squeeze the ends together and roll around the edges.  Then give it a quick egg wash, poke with a fork and sprinkle with coarse sugar. 

Bake at 375 for 1/2 hour and then at 400 for 10 minutes until golden brown.  Then let cool and enjoy!

And by the way I HATE making crust!  No only does my counter get really messy but it is a giant a pain in the butt!  Of course the results are sooo yummy that I make it anyway!  Its worth all the smiles!
Come back tomorrow for apple dumplings!

I am linking this to What's Cooking Wednesday @ http://notsohomemade.blogspot.com/
Love,
Pinkapotamus


No comments:

Post a Comment