Wednesday, August 29, 2012

A Sweet Rosie Home Guest Post

Pin It







Hi there all you Pinkapotamus readers!  I very happy to share these starfish today.  My name is Rose and I'm a mom of 3 beautiful kids and a wife to an amazing husband who works hard so I can stay at home.  My blog is A Rosie Sweet Home where I share whatever makes me happy, which usually is crafts, DIY tutorial, recipes, and things I do with my family.  On my blog I'm totally myself and make all kind of mistakes but I'm not afraid to show them.  I want my blog to be a comfortable and inviting place to visit.  I love pretty things, going thrift store shopping, and any thing artistic.  I am excited about every visitor to my blog so I hope you stop by and say hi.



At the beginning of August I threw a Mermaid theme birthday party for my little girl, these starfish were part of the decorations.  I'm going to show you how I made them.  

First you need to make the dough,  it is a simple salt dough recipe.

2 cups all purpose flour 
1 cup salt
1 cup water

After you mix the dough roll it into a log about 10 inches long and cut it into 7 equal parts. 


Take one of the sections and divide that into 5 section. 

Roll them out in between your hands until they are as long a your finger and a little tapered on one end. 

Press the wide ends together in the shape of a starfish.  Use some water on your finger to smooth out the seams from where you pressed the legs together. 

Use a fork and poke holes all over the star fish. Then set them out to dry.  I let my star fish dry in the air for a week.  If you need them faster you can bake them at 250 for 3 hours.

If you air dry them they will have a white appearance in color if you bake them they will appear dark in color and you will have to paint them white, which looks good too.  

After they are all dry and painted {if you need to do that} then spray them with a clear Sealer or Finish. This will seal them and they will last a lot longer.


 These make a great decoration for any sea side theme room or party.  I hope you enjoyed this little tutorial.




3 comments:

  1. This is so perfect- I'm redoing my bathroom and spent a good amount of time looking at several stores last week for a pink starfish- Now I can make it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so impressed! I didn't know you MADE those starfish! Super cool...and I love the hippo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...and a P.S. I saw you like hops/blog link-ups- Please join us each Friday for Photo Friday Blog Hop. Pick a fave photo from any post and add it to the collection! Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete