Saturday, September 11, 2010

Monogram Door Sign!

I love stash busting!  I have been looking around my house for ideas on what to make with the pieces that I have in stock and today I found one.  Since we only moved into our house last November we have s-l-o-w-l-y been decorating it.  I feel like we are finally moving to a place in which our house looks more like a HOME!   But of course the upstairs is always the last place that we start to decorate as more people travel through our living room and kitchen.
This morning while going through my stash I found an adorable yellow canvas that I bought at Michaels one day on a whim.  I think it cost about $2 as it was a clearance item.  I thought it would make a cute door sign for my daughter.  So here is a quick tutorial on how to make a monogrammed door sign with butterflies.
I started by using my Cricut to cut out the Letter C for Cassandra.

Once the letter was cut out I glued it to the canvas.

Then I used my butterfly punch to cut the butterfly shapes in two different papers.  I have done this by hand and believe me the punch is soooo much easier.. totally worth the $9 or $5 if you have a coupon!

Then I glued the butterflies on one wing to the letter C all around so that they look as if they are flying up.

This is what the C looked like done.

Next I took apart an old silk flower that my sister in law had given my daughter for her birthday.  I painted a wood circle pink to match the center and glued the flower together.

Then I glued the flower into place.  Last I tied a bow in some grosgrain ribbon and glued it to the back of the canvas.

Viola!  A cute monogrammed sign for my daughter's door!  Here's the finished product!

The yellow and pink make me soo happy! 
P.S.  Please excuse my hanging device.. the doors are new and therefore I am NOT allowed to put holes in them!  I am going to have to Mod Podge that hook into shape.. but that is another project for another day!
and at seven thirty three for the sugar and spice party @ http://733blog.blogspot.com/2010/09/sugar-and-spice-weekly-link-party-24.html
Love,
Pinkapotamus

1 comment:

  1. I love this!

    (I would also like to point out that my name is Cassandra, my favorite color is pink, and my favorite flower is a pink daisy...let me know if you're ever getting rid of that sign. lol)

    ReplyDelete